Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Canters, Fairfax



Canters, Fairfax

            while on a
standing-room-only
city bus stogged with
indolent soaked-coated
sleepwalkers I wobble &
hold on to the unctuous
steel bar, white-knuckled
my shell whacks abruptly
against bulging back-packs
& my knees knock against
some poor schmuck’s knees
preventing him from being
able to do his crossword
in peace    to escape I day-
dream of a late-night hang
at Canters, Fairfax
Los Angeles
from just the week before
waiting on a friend to wind
her way slowly down from
the perfumed and precipitous
Laurel Canyon
I sat alone in a moon-shaped
mid-century booth under the
hue of sputnik lights sipping
pink lemonade deciding what
to order
            I considered thick-cut
steak fries but you can literally
have french-fries anywhere so
I sprung for an order of stuffed
kishka with gravy & a bowl
of mish mosh soup – the giant
matzo ball was impressive but
the serving was a little chintzy
on kreplach
            my ornery orange-haired
waitron mused drolly they have
served over 10 million matzo balls
LA’s best since 1931          
she quipped
I made sure to tip her well when
my comrade finally arrived with
a few other Hollywood dolls in toe
all glittery eyed & sunset stripped
to whisk me off to a rock show that
kept us wild & free until the wee
hours of the morning only to land
back at Canters in the same moon-
shaped booth eating
Huevos Rancheros
while on a
standing-room-only
city bus replete with their drooped
shoulders & dripping hoods
            I dolefully hanker for
my feet to trace the Venice Beach
canals, squiggle on the back of
postcards addressed to the envious
banter with the Rainbow-ed elite
& fall asleep listening to the Pacific
splashing & the seagulls sing
            instead
the hiss of wet brakes & a collective
sigh

***

I’ve been working on this poem for several days. It’s dedicated to those dear few who frequent and belong in the air of Los Angeles. I hope to one day inhale it with them. For now, a poem.

In propinquity,
Nic

No comments:

Post a Comment