Friday, October 12, 2018

11 Pound Novel



11 Pound Novel

in exchange for a peek
at my 11 pound novel
my free-wheeling fiction
& a stack of sepia-toned
still-lifes as prospective
cover art
a rugged tattooed dingbat
sat at my kitchen table to
strum some of the sweetest
strings devoid of the usual
seedy yawps
zigzagged whops of space
prog & sudden swing jazz
he plays for the blacklisted
& alcoholics in dingy dive
bars
it was enough to
make my head spin ‘round
that I near forgot to breathe
            dingbat thumbed his
nose at my chapters as long
as one line of dialogue but
left w/ all of my hit-or-miss
metaphors
hidden inside of his guitar
case
            to use in letters to
his exes

***

And here it is, the early morning clacking for my poetry prompt on this dreadfully inclement and fraught Friday. I was grateful to wake up to a note from my bud this morning, to a little something that helps to keep my head on straight while in this personal season of grueling concern for a loved one whose struggle is becoming quite serious, enough to keep me awake most nights.

The prompt was the poem’s title. I had no idea where it would go, I just wrote. Like a morning page. I also think it’s why I enjoy waking up to prompts because it helps to wipe the noodle clean of any nighttime residual upset. I do find when I write on the way to work and fuss over the crossword puzzle in the back of the newspaper my days tend to evolve in a positive vein.

Writing and music, they both save. They save me. All the time.

In propinquity,
Nic

No comments:

Post a Comment