Tuesday, July 24, 2018

That's Entertainment



That’s Entertainment

an unreliable narrator
had an encounter w/ a
strange woman in a bar
& emerged unscathed
            hush

a fly-by-night relator
subtly tried to refract
onus after pestering a
gratified man to admit
            hush

an unscrupulous teller
attempts an alteration
to not revolve around
misfortunes of others
            hush

on the outside
looking in
every overture to the
language of
            small complex
stories

is mere
entertainment

a choose
your own
adventure
           

***

I thought about working on my ‘Sillyheart’ edit while I ate lunch today but I found myself pecking away at a poem.  Adam Baldwin added some new songs to a Spotify playlist and one of the gems was The Jam’s ‘That’s Entertainment’ – hence the title. I rolled a bunch of words around in my hands until I came up with the above.

I am also still working on a short story called ‘Corner Store’. It keeps bumping around in my brain so even with the edit on tap I have to follow through for Bertie and Mattie. I’ve got five pages written so far which is less than nothing but it is a beginning. It’s all in my head and yet I struggle to find the words. It’s terribly frustrating when you can see a story but it won’t land on the page.

Another heat wave has gripped the Maritime  and lack of sleep has me feeling a little queasy. I’m not one to complain too much about any weather anymore but I’m not enjoying the discomfort and the tossy turny nights. It makes me feel more stabby than poetic. Oh, the humidity. Stay cool.

In propinquity,
Nic


No comments:

Post a Comment