Wednesday, July 25, 2018

On A Yellow Legal Pad




On A Yellow Legal Pad

I have little patience for underdogs
& have made an ancillary vocation
of writing about it on a yellow legal
pad. Then, I also critique combative
pundits w/ playfully profane jibes &
use compassion to boost the intrigue.
You would not believe what I have
done behind the typewriter, breathed
life back into dead letters, crippled
souls, dismissed colorful anecdotes,
plagiarized, annotated gonzo action,
assembled assaults, executed orders,
rallied the troops, educed excitement,
splattered certainty, hollowed out the
sea, occupied a chair, unfolded fear,
invaded rival terrain, burned bridges
  … all while high on ethos. It’s how I
acquired admirers, groping for words
to define blood & bombs & bordellos.
I have little tolerance for curtains w/
scalloped edges, umbrella drinks, or
having to survey the distance among
things, shaping allegiance & verity.
Critical theory will likely be the death
of me. It all begins on a yellow legal
pad, all of it. And then the machine
swallows it whole – the quality of my
secrets laid bare for all to devour.

***

This poem kind of ran away from me and I had a ton of fun chasing it. My prompt pal likes to write on yellow legal pads. That fact caused me to launch into this ditty. It was a bit of a wild ride but arent’ they always? It’s worth the fear and faith to put a poem into the world.

In propinquity,
Nic




No comments:

Post a Comment