Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Twenty-fourth May, Two Thousand Sixteen


Twenty-fourth May, Two Thousand Sixteen

tin angel troubadour ages
intrepid bar-stool bard weakens

tambourine tackle
                dolefully downcast

this the news
twenty-fourth may, two thousand sixteen

**

Bleary-eyed, I took my work station this morning, booted up my PC, logged into my email, and then promptly tuned into Tom Power on CBC Radio 2. It’s my morning ritual. No deviating unless I’ve got something to pop in the toaster or I need to set the kettle to boil for tea. It was a few minutes before 7am, the news was on when I heard in two separate breaths, today was Bob Dylan’s 75th birthday (I smiled as I put myself to work) and Gord Downie had brain cancer (I stopped smiling).  It took a second for me to absorb what had just blasted me through my rutty speakers. I burst into tears and sent a text to my best bud, in shock, in horror, gut-wrenching heartsickness spreading all through me. It has lasted all day. It will last forever. My poet love, my literary comrade, my rock ‘n’ roll sweetheart: brain cancer. Incurable. Unbelievable.

The Hip are set to tour this summer, for Gord, for themselves, for us. It was hard to keep the tears in listening to their music peppered through Power’s show this morning, a show is going to be both extremely joyful and painful all at once; knowing it will likely be the very last time any of us will encounter he and his microphone.

A beautiful mind is being taken from us. Not today, not tomorrow, not even next month: but when they say incurable, well … it is an injustice to the world. I can’t understand in these instances, what kind of God robs the world of a person who delights with their talents and doesn’t steal the evil-doers.

It is difficult to imagine a world without him in it and for now we don’t have to. We give him our love, our prayers, our courage, our voices. For as long as we are able.

Courage, for Gord.

In propinquity,
Nic

4 comments:

  1. I thought of you first. I too heard it on the news - at 6:30 that morning, when the alarm went off to get me out of bed. I spent the rest of the day avoiding social media and mentally composing a card tag in hope of giving you some genuinely inspired support. As you know, I am not a great Hip fan. I'm not even a good Hip fan, but I respect your opinion enough to know that we are on the brink of losing greatness.

    On the other hand, his best work will be done before he goes. His legacy will never die, therein he makes himself immortal.

    Love you, Bean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are on that brink, Ru. I must be crazy because I can't afford a tour of a paper-bag these days but we are trying to make it to a show. I hope he has his health and his might for the longest of times. It is hard to imagine a world without him.

      Delete
    2. Let me know if I can help fund the quest. Seriously, you must see this tour so no arguing.

      Delete
    3. You did more than enough for my birthday last year to make up for several years to come! That's crazy talk. We are going to try hard as nails for tickets Friday. I was so stressed out trying pre-sale and we all know how that turned out. Canada is up in arms and I am too. It was an awful experience.

      Delete