Wednesday, May 25, 2016

O’ Alive



O’ Alive

if Alice hadn’t come to a stop somewhere
the bricks that built this house would not
have been possible
I would not have
in a pilled cardigan
and a black sundress
been able to stand up & eulogize my father
in a sharply lit room with dank eyes gawking
arriving in a heat-wave
departing in a deep freeze
stretching toward something new & different
                so
I muse on it all lowering myself into a hot bath
the pockets of my bathrobe stuffed with notes
like the Carver poem I read aloud at the archives
rubbles of estimations & notions & wailings
    the ache of sore muscles
                pangs of extreme isolation         
                surreptitious determinations
in this the blackest of twilights  
if Alice hadn’t come to a stop somewhere
the wilderness might
have eaten me alive

**

I needed to spin my writing wheels a little bit today; I’m very out of sorts. I pecked at this little piece between crunching numbers and ringing telephones. I took my time and found a great deal of hidden profundity in the lines that appeared.

The sun is out. That’s a bonus. Looking forward to comfy clothes, tea and maybe some time outside, even outside of my head.

In propinquity,

Nic

2 comments:

  1. I don't understand how you are able to spin these gems between phones and number crunching at work. I go in with good intention, knowing that Nic can do it, therefore writing at the office must be possible, and I bomb every time.

    Whining aside, I really appreciate the imagery in this poem. The overall meaning might be lost on me, but I am hooked on the little details. "Arriving in a heat wave, departing in a deep freeze" - PURE POETRY!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Came from a wee place of loneliness, distress, judgement, misunderstandings and in the end, relief.

      Some days if I don't peck, I feel as though I might lose my marbles.

      Delete