Thursday, April 28, 2016

When I Danced On Skates


When I Danced On Skates

it all started with a dramatic entrance
my self-deprecating hyper- aware BFF
in toe – both of us on roller skates
my crazy ass legs & fancy foot work
sent me colliding into a mirrored wall
                all for the promise of cute boys
the hardwood floors of the roller disco
                ravaged my virtue
a step up from losing rolls of quarters
in a dim-lit smoke-filled video arcade
I traded smelling like a filthy ashtray
for a life for girl sass – lacing up skates
in           
                crop tops
                fab leggings
                headbands
                leg-warmers
                rainbow socks
nearly cobalt blue smoky eyes
& too cool for school attitude
our style:  decidedly mature for sure
brightly coloured pom-poms on the
                toes of the skates led me
cruising around the rink skating backwards
weaving though the reflection of the disco
ball & bopping strobes
to all 14 thumping minutes of Rapper’s Delight
the rocky quiver & twist of Ballroom Blitz
ending up at the snack bar for cold soda pops
absorbing the hidden tensions that make
young love so hard
between the slight the plump the oo-la-las
                & the James Blondes
the night I had my first skate kiss the place
was crawling w drunk teen-agers roller boogying
                … ahh freak out …
me & my Cyndi Lauper BFF
snuck a bottle of beer she stole from her uncle’s
fridge into the bathroom to cool off like big shots
titter a little & change back into our black cotton
parachute pants & pastel shaker-knit sweaters
head back to the snack bar to ogle the fair
object of my lip smacker leaning cool
& watch pepperoni pizza dry out under a heat lamp
until Dad rolled up in the snot green station wagon
                those were the days
when I danced in skates with my screwball BFF
    kissing boys       
                in the heavy heat
                of that roller skating rink
                every Saturday night

oh … to be young is to be light

**

It is to be noted that I listened to Rapper’s Delight, in its entirely, on repeat, until I finished writing this.

It was fun.

In propinquity,

Nic

1 comment:

  1. I see the fun in the creation of this one. Lots of vivid imagery and a little less deep emotion than some of your other elephants ... though I sense the nostalgia and perhaps the mourning for happier times. The 80s! Yes!

    ReplyDelete