Wednesday, April 6, 2016

One of the Ways



One of the Ways

it is something you reference
something that moves on its own
tickling you into a curl of smoke
when you take the long way around

it happens on a day you no longer recall
through a stillness ruined by a drawn-out sigh

it is something that falls into the wrong hands
pressed amid yellowed pages of an old book

it is the correct answer to a dingy demand
something obscured for everybody’s sake

it may be that we are just ordinary people
a man in a dark formal suit & accent tie
a woman with  wide & fixed chocolate eyes

it is something you must to mention
something you see underneath it all

begging the question of why don’t we dance

                   it is just
one of the ways we bend to small miracles

**

I am sitting still at my work desk. The phone isn't ringing, my co-worker beside me us sketching, the sun is streaming through the window and CBC is playing Jeff Buckley's 'Hallelujah".  My heart is heavy in mourning for my sweet uncle's passing, my co-worker's is heavy from the passing of someone she loves too. It's palpable, the shared sadness on our side of the room and yet here we both are, being creative in our down time. There really is something to be said for the power of creativity in a time of need. 

Short and sweet today, just like me.

In propinquity,
Nic


No comments:

Post a Comment