Wednesday, November 28, 2018

I Still Hear Your Voice



I Still Hear Your Voice

            I still hear it
your voice in the halls
vibrating up through the
floorboards
            calling my name
singing ‘High Flying Bird
shooing the cat away from
your desk lamp or while you
sewed well-traveled patches
on your quilt
            I still hear it
your voice
your voluminous laughter
echoing in the rooms you’ve
left empty
living-rooms, dining-rooms
dance halls
            and I still hear it
the buzz
of machines in time
with your lungsful
drawing oxygen deep
exhaling in emergency
            it’s always there
the slow outbreath of your last
moment
            an Angel’s soft sigh
you bloomed in freedom
I wither in grief
I still hear it
the sounds of you
                                    especially
when I feel stranded in my joys
            and when I hear it
I look for the rendering
of your
human guise
for a soliloquy
any kind of refrain
I still hear it
            and it kills me

***

Another poem for my dearly departed sister. When I feel the hurt settle in, the reality, the only way I know how organize it is on the page.

I miss you, Big Sister.

In propinquity,
Nic


4 comments:

  1. Oh sis...its too heart breaking...I feel you're ever word...love you to bits....our new normal will never ease our hurt..only time...I pray����

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is what I mean about poets and the courage they have in pouring their souls onto the page. This one hurts for all the right reasons. A wrenching tribute that socked me in the heart. Hard to take a full breath right now - thank you for doing what I cannot: making grief into art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still hurts me to come back and re-read it - yet it felt good to put it down on the page.

      Delete