Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Beautiful Minefields



Beautiful Minefields

“In another life, I would come back as a blond soprano who could sing high, clear notes without fear.”
~ Georgia O’Keeffe
            dear Joni
I am only a featherhead
for as long as your art requires
& what traps await in the time
it takes know exactly when
calculations fail while you are
so busy being free – the one
they say sings first in a patter
to a rue & all the way to rhapsody
in one fell swoop
            all those tinges of sadness
protests, rounds & felicities
surrendered on thin paper
every carefully chosen word act as
slight shunts into oblivion
            I am thinking of you today
from my hotel room trying to turn
a dirge into a love song to meet the
sharp expectations of your dignity
            o’ Joni
I confess
I do lean a little too heavily on your
good graces to emulate your clout
& w/ evident joy of course
in the hopes that one day soon we
might have a chance
conversation that flowers into a song
one that ambles & veers the depths of
my heart & your pockets full of sand
it would be a slow reveal
all those years of bottled
up melancholy
the wash transcendent & bracing for
restoration
restitution
dear Joni
            it still doesn’t rain in California
& yet the hydrangeas bloom brightest
along the sharp chances of the Canyon
while you sit vigil in British Columbia
            & I am desperate to be forgiven
for trying to steal all the light you have
                                                gathered
for thinking I could pass off the extra
syllables of your openhearted heroics
            as my own
If I know you, Joni
you’d send me back to the garden
through beautiful minefields just to
endure basic human longings 
                        just as you did for all
these seventy-five fitful years

***

Happy 75th birthday, Joni Mitchell. Thank you for the music, the poetry, the passion, the power, the art – all while defending and maintaining a true sense of self. Fucking admirable. Thank you for paving the way.

In propinquity,
Nic

1 comment:

  1. "I am only a featherhead for as long as your art requires" - perfect!

    Actually, that's kind of how I feel when reading some of your more eloquent elephants. I don't always get the specifics, but I usually grasp the gist!

    ReplyDelete