Monday, December 9, 2013

Ode To An Affecting Writer From A Foolish Visionary


Excerpt #2 - a poem written by Imelda for Brucha's birthday.

Ode To An Affecting Writer From A Foolish Visionary

I imagine you when you write
with your meticulously tended gardens
old-fashioned virtues and simple metaphors.

I imagine you taking a break for steeped tea
Puttering around in your country kitchen
sipping, thinking, annotating:  creative criterion.

I imagine you when you are set alight
deftly  aware of sunlight’s directional pull
stringing words tightly enough to change a life.

I imagine you completing a plain-song treatise
sublimely fortunate that words did not fail you
reviewing the notion of the beginning, the middle, the end.

It is because you believe words have weight
it is because you inspire the fire of artistic necessity
that I challenge every muscle to achieve solitude and fortification.

Because you write we read.
Because you create we revel.

I imagine you when you write
oblivious to the lucrative wisdom you dispense
into our entrenched sadness and our restlessness.

I imagine you are unaware of your authority, your beauty.

I imagine you imagine yourself so much smaller than you really are.

**

It's coming along, still at a crawl but it's still coming.  I think I may know an ending but I'm still not 100% sure.  This poem was fun to write.

In propinquity,
Nic

No comments:

Post a Comment