Saturday, November 21, 2015

Joys Fears Pains Sensitivities


Joys Fears Pains Sensitivities

I wonder what it feels like to be a young Bob Dylan in a
Greenwich Village apartment making prank phone calls
or the endless repetition of supernatural light creating
beautiful sun-bleached palettes of a wild paradise fire

I imagine myself as prevalent and brimming with cool
the sole owner of one inspired and continuous blunder
protected by the diaphanous sheath of obliviousness
digging dramatic ground to entomb the barefaced verity

an indolent string of made-up words are the train-tracks
to the bleached-bone straightforwardness of not knowing
the look of a dominant voice recommending you to surrender
your whole heart for something important named after you

to not be in attendance for your own departure diminishes its
perfection and resolve like balancing dancers on the memory
of the very last lines emblazoned on the softness of the sand

joys fears pains sensitivities
we were never meant to survive
under one small star

**

It is wet and cold outside today. Coincidentally, it’s also Halifax’s Parade of Lights. My buds and I are going to brave the cold and damp with layers and rain ponchos and participate. I am still planning my attire in my head as I type this. Should be fun even if a little uncomfortable due to the elements but we’ll be together, united, ready to soak in a little holiday cheer. Cheer never hurt no one!

I slept in good this morning. I had a rough heart day yesterday so I turned my phone off at 9ish, binge watched some Parks and Recreation for a little lightness and headed to sleep by 11ish. Sadness is exhausting but I woke up today, made a hearty brunch, a pot of tea and did some writing (the result being the above poem). While writing I listened to Adele’s 25 and Chris Stapleton’s Traveller records, both of which I love. I should have been working on my story but that I will save for tomorrow. This morning I just felt like filling my ears with music while I tinkered with words. It felt good.

Wishing you a bountiful Saturday. However you spend it, I hope joy finds you.

In propinquity,
Nic


4 comments:

  1. Another elephant. Bean, you'll have me burning out my dictionary before I die. I like to watch you tinker, though. It's easier to comprehend some of your work if I read it aloud, Taking breaks to breathe can magically corral a phrase or an image that helps in the greater interpretation.

    Or, sometimes, it's like panning for gold. Hidden in the greater mystery are gems of immeasurable beauty - like the final line here: "we were never meant to survive under one small star." Killed me dead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's okay, Ru. I will buy you a new dictionary for Christmas next year. ;)

      Delete
    2. Better make it a thicker one, lol.

      Delete