Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Tacenda


Tacenda

leave it to stillness
intentions unspoken
implications hushed

tacit

words better left unsaid
matters to be passed over

in silence

deafening silence

             inferred
            deferred

permit quietude
solemn gestures

oblique

matters not to be mentioned
emotions unable to breathe

stifled
sated

your truth
my truth

the whole truth

& nothing but

left to nothingness
purpose undeclared
words left to the wind

tacit

you and me
me and you

silent
broken

**


It may have happened; writer’s block may have set in. Just a little bit.  I suppose it was bound to happen after such a fruitful stream of creative writing.  When I started writing this current story, I slammed into a wall it seems but I’m hoping it’s just quick creative cat nap instead of an actual block.  I know the whole story now, I just haven’t been able to get it down on paper.  My noodle feels cluttered full of junk and work and worldly concerns.  Perhaps another news hiatus might be healthy.  With all of the goings on in Boston and the foiled terror attack here on Canadian soil, my thoughts before sleep aren’t of imagined characters and their colorful stories, they are deeply rooted in reality.  I need to find the way back to that creative space and turn ‘Mute’ into a full story instead of bare bones writing.  I am still scribbling notes but notes can only take me so far.  I need writing time, alone time with these people to do their story justice.  I also vow to stop bucking the rigid rules of grammar with my stubbornness and write the dialogue properly despite my intense hatred for that one little rule of the comma.  It is a rule I cannot escape if I ever have any hope of publishing one day.  Delighted though that Ruthie was the only person to ever notice it – just for her and for the sake of being correct, I will write with better rules and respect for them. 

I did manage to squeeze out a poem that I transferred from my writing book (which I spent several hours tinkering with over the weekend) to my Teapot.  Sometimes when I’m drained of inspiration, a few hours in those pages can really help.

Sidenote: it’s only Tuesday.  I’m going to try hard to quell my crank.  Try being the operative word.  An equal combination of idiots and outside static are grating on my last nerve but I will press on.  And smile.  It’s what I do.  The only way to battle hypocrisy and the grand double standard is to kill 'em with kindness.  

Who’s gonna ride your wild horses?

In propinquity,
Nic


4 comments:

  1. I am still laughing at your bizarre hatred of the comma placement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I didn't whap your knuckles with a ruler or anything, Bean! I just stated my truth that commas are important when formatting dialogue so old folks like me can recognize what the heck is going on. Far be it from me to corral your artistic freedom. Poets are supposed to buck the grammatical norm, but when writing prose ... grrr ...

    Case in point: your "poem du jour" Gorgeous! Formatting all over the place, no punctuation to speak of and STILL I understood it. I think. I smiled because it reads like an ode to the current disconnect with your Muse. That said, be of good cheer, my sweetheart. It's not a block. It's a result of reality overload. There are also days when it simply isn't meant to come, and creativity on any form will suffer for existing in a world with such sharp corners. So distance yourself as best you can. Drink your tea, play your music, call on the characters before you go to sleep. All will be well, I promise you.

    Geez. This is long enough to be a blog entry! Maybe I'll do a cut and paste ... *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That came from a place of gratitude, not that I thought you whapped me. Haha. I just love that you're the only one who *noticed* I was stubborn. I printed out the rules in that link we discussed and have promised myself to be better. Habit that is bad and hard to break but I can do it! Hee.

      I wrote another poem today I am going to tweak tonight and will likely blog tomorrow. It caused tears. I have been writing and even squeezed a small chunk of dialogue out but it came in a flash and then was gone. But, it's 100 more words than I had yesterday. :)

      Delete