Sunday, July 8, 2012

Caesura



One of the best parts of a writing life are the creatives I am fortunate enough to meet and mingle with.  I had the pleasure of spending some time with Helen King a few years ago, drinking tea and talking about writing.  It was one of the nicest afternoons I have ever spent.  It is calming, being in her company and from that little meeting of the minds came this poem, for he, because she touched me and inspired verse.

Caesura, just so you don't have to turn to the good book to look it up, means:  pause in a line of verse.  Appropriate for writing about this wonderful woman and our time together that day, it was a pause for me from the rat race, from the humdrum of daily life.  I really appreciated the pause, to wax poetic about writing and music and art.  Helen's writing is wonderful. She writes beautiful, textured prose, creates characters you want to befriend and think of long after the story has ended. 

I am a little richer for knowing her and so today, I celebrate her here, ever grateful for her kinship and her gentle spirit and how it inspires.

Caesura
(for H.K.)

most days I am insular
deconstructed
overlapped

steeped in quiet wonder

solitude

and a range of revolving uncertainties
but sitting across the table
from you in Paper Chase
for a few calm hours
allowed me to forget the time
I spend tracing the shape of my
words forming in the corners

of empty rooms
our conversation

gave me pause from the chaos
and the blizzard of daily discord
I was reminded that it is the little
things that deserve bright celebration

moments

like caesuras
slight pauses ones makes when
reading aloud

a sentence
a poem
a prayer

my grey matter met the colours of peace

solidarity

and something akin to happiness
that lasted long enough after we said

our goodbyes

to gaze at the possibilities
imbedded in the collision 

of wisdom
of kindness

and the power of the creative spirit
that wrapped around me

like sudden verbs
like a joyous song

marking the end of a beautiful day



Take a few moments today if you will to ponder those in your life who lift you up, who inspire.  Let them know because maybe that's just what they need to hear.  Kind words go a long way.


In propinquity,
Nic


Photo credit:  Kiersten Bree Johnston, Halifax 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment