Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Liberty


Liberty

it seemed fitting to befriend the
weeping willows when you left us
you, whose happiest laughter
caused an uprising in the rose bushes
the bees dizzy and spilling their golden
honey, the trickle creating words that
stacked themselves neatly into poems
we had no idea they were writing our
dreams until your absence illuminated
the truth about the azaleas who winked
warmly whenever we’d call your name
after bright kites whipping in a winter wind
it seemed fitting to befriend you that day
in a room full of romantic minds and
intellectual hearts, words in hand, waiting
patiently to impart a tiny piece of
themselves onto a small sliver of the
world who were willing to listen, even
with their eyes closed, and you, you
listened, you smiled, you clapped your
gentle hands, and after I took my turn
you leaned to me and said, “that was just
lovely, good work, kid” – those willows
weeping, are no substitute for you

***

My dear poet friend, Kay Liberty Wynne passed away and my heart is broken. It took me a little time to compose something in her honour. She was such a wonderful human being, funny, full of amazing stories, and so easy to be around. I am so grateful we became friends. I will cherish the time I was able to spend with her and think fondly of her often. Oh, but that laugh of hers. I will miss it the most.

In propinquity,
Nic
           


No comments:

Post a Comment