Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Initiation Tool - Valuing Our Experience. ‘The Right to Write’



Initiation Tool - Valuing Our Experience. ‘The Right to Write’

I’ve been working steadily on creative non-fiction pieces about my childhood and my family. The pages are piling up! I thought it might be good, despite my current burst of inspiration, to still carry on with some of the exercises from Julia Cameron’s beloved book, ‘The Right to Write – An Invitation and Initiation into the Writing Life’. I’m still jotting tons of notes down and writing but that doesn’t mean a wee exercise can’t help while inspired, correct?

I finished reading the chapter ‘Valuing Our Experience’ and was taken by the challenge of the proposed tool. It is one that brings to light your personal value system. It requires you to set aside an hour. Take yourself out of the house/office to a pleasant writing environment – a café for example. Number a blank page from one to fifty. List fifty things you are proud of – could be anything, big or small.

This is my list. I encourage you to also give it a try. You don’t have to be working on something creative to take an inventory of all the things you’re proud of doing in your life. It’s good for you to look inward and acknowledge your personal successes and your best. I dare you!

1.      Seeing ‘Sillyheart’ through. A page a day for a whole year produced my first book.
2.      Utilizing my sense of humour for good (although most would prefer I never pun again!).
3.      Eulogizing my Father at his Celebration of Life. I think I would have done him proud.
4.      My commitment to my glass always being half full instead of half empty. Optimism!
5.      Forging strong friendships with those I greatly admire. I love my small but mighty tribe.
6.      I don’t mind saying I make a mean chicken curry. I’ve got supporters to back that up!
7.      This will sound ass backwards; I am proud of my messy self. Messy desk, spotless mind.
8.      Managing my grief after losing Dad and Kelly. All things considered; I’m doing just fine.
9.      My relationship with my family. We may not always agree, but I love them exponentially.
10.  Being able to write about my memories with aplomb and love and a heap of good humour.
11.  My even temper. I admit, I’m a little crustier in my old age, but I seldom rage from ire.
12.  I know my limits. I think this is an important thing to know of yourself. And be proud of.
13.  Card tag with Ru. It is a long-standing tradition that garners so much joy. A favorite thing.
14.  Stepping up to care for my aging parent. It is a challenge I accept and execute with love.
15.  I’m a keep of secrets. My lips are sealed. Confidences are not mine to share with others.
16.  I am mindful of time as well as another person’s time. I do not like to be tardy to the party.
17.  Teaching all the Littles how to ‘cheers’ and to ‘fist bump’ – aka aces Auntie skills!
18.  I don’t make promises I can’t keep. Anymore. I’m learning the power of ‘no thank you’.
19.  If someone allows me to borrow something, I take extremely good care of it.
20.  Training my cat to enjoy being groomed. It took ages to get her used to being brushed.
21.  Sounds silly but I currently own three plants, all of which are still alive and thriving!
22.  I try, most times, to approach all things in life joyfully. Because it feels good to do so.
23.  I pride myself on being friendly and approachable. I enjoy meeting and talking to people.
24.  When I tackle something new, I’ve taught myself to do it with confidence not hesitancy.
25.   I take responsibility for my actions, behavior, mistakes and learn from them. Immediately.
26.  I’m slowly learning to have the courage to take more risks outside of my comfort zone.
27.  I can totally ask for help if I need it. I am not stubborn enough (yet) to ask for a hand.
28.  Overcoming stage fright! Huuuge hurtle for me. All thanks to a merry band of poets.
29.  I don’t hold grudges. Times most certainly can be tough, but forgiveness is a superpower.
30.  I’m no slave to trends. I like what I like, and I make no apologies for what brings me joy.
31.  I am perfectly comfortable with my own company. I enjoy my own company. I like me.
32.  I am proud of my roots. Where I came from. Our traditions and values which I uphold.
33.  Where needed, I will raise my voice against injustices and protest wrongs in our society.
34.  I’ve been blessed with the art of active listening. I can listen and not say a word if needed.
35.  My work ethic is strong. It is vital to me to do my best no matter the task at hand.
36.  I wrote and submitted a creative non-fiction piece to CBC about my Dad after he passed away. It was a difficult mission, but it sated my heart and awarded my strength at the time.
37.  I believe in and dispense random acts of kindness as often as I can. Paying it forward, whatever it is, is a common practice for me. It’s good to give back.
38.  I am good at going with my gut instincts. It rarely steers me wrong.
39.  I’ve been tempted to give up on writing so many times, but I have the first two dollars I ever made from writing framed on my desk. It is a symbol of perseverance that I follow. It is in my constant eyesight as a reminder, if you build it, they will come.
40.  I make a point of supporting local businesses, artists, musicians etc. There may come a time when I need their support too!
41.  I am a rigid recycler. And I always do my best to be mindful of the environment. Alas, I am still unsure how to not use hairspray.
42.  It’s a long time coming, as I enjoy spending money, but I’ve gotten super good at saving.
43.  Overcame my fear of heights by participating in the annual bridge walk. Scary but I did it! I walked in the middle of the bridge on the way over and came back on the walkway. Woo! I also got on a smaller scale Ferris wheel.
44.  I can now drink tea without sugar! Now, I work on the coffee. Always room for improvement!
45.  My creative gifts. I wouldn’t be doing this exercise without the desire to live a creative life. And, the gifts I receive in return from creative pursuits are second to none.
46.  Knowing that no matter what, there is always room to grow even after a significant advancement.
47.  I’m a Sag, but I’m like a Gemini in that I know a little bit about a good many things. Knowledge is power.
48.  I pride myself on my keen attention to detail but can openly admit I am not an editor.
49.  I am thoroughly enjoying the journey in learning how to honour my own needs.
50.  Proud of myself or finding fifty things to be proud of myself for! And valuing my experiences!

Phew! Now that was a challenge! I can also tell you that it took longer than an hour. What with the welcome distractions like the sunshine, day-dreaming, and the interesting task of looking inward, and then reaching around to pat your own back.

If you should look at this exercise and think it is too narcissistic, fear not. Julia Cameron, right in the book, that it isn’t any kind of self-involvement but rather the act of paying active witness to ourselves and the world around us. And, an act of dignity.

There’s a quote at the end of this chapter, just before the instructions of the Initiation Tool are laid out. It is as follows: “As we attune ourselves more and more closely to the value of passing moments, we learn that we are something of moment ourselves.”

This Initiation Tool amazed me. I admit, with all the things I listed about myself that I’m proud of, things and traits and moments, I wasn’t sure I’d hit fifty. But, to my surprise …

Now, back to the real work! Writing!

In propinquity,
Nic



No comments:

Post a Comment