Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Taste of Peace



Taste of Peace

bracelets
coiled tightly
‘round her slim wrist
her hand trembles
a little
            speaking only
in verse
looking for names in
the crowd
to argue with about
the dead
            instead she
is challenged on the
impotence of
God
going cool in her skin
she recalls
            once having
friends who believed
in                     Heaven
those bound
            by the conceits of
instinct and agony
            she wades later
in a laurel patch
            cadenced somehow
by a theatrical night
                        spent
hunting
for a taste of peace
calls on her      yearnings
in the vast wild
of moon-flooded night
to                     stitch
the motif
she is plain
            and good-hearted
despite the rain
            on the other side
of her chest

***

Purposely, I left my book at home today, so I didn’t have to lug it around after work en-route to the Memorial Cup Street Fest. My iPod also needed charging, so I scribbled on my morning commute. This poem was the result. I was just glad to find scrap paper in the bottom of my bag so I could write. No matter what it is, it’s always good to put pen to paper. I know what imagery this conjured for me, I hope for those who read it, can see her similarly.

Heading to see Ria Mae this evening. Then home to my bed. I wish it would warm up. I think I’ll have to wear my hoodie and my jacket tonight. Where is the sun!? At least it isn’t raining (knock wood).

Happy Wednesday!

In propinquity,
Nic
                       

No comments:

Post a Comment