Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Carol's Party


Carol Shields would be 80 years old today.

It’s crazy to imagine that it has been more than 10 years since she lost a brave and courageous battle with breast cancer. My bookshelves are lined with volumes of her extraordinary works about many conventional things and people: casseroles and scarves and mothers and daughters. My writer’s tool box is full of immeasurable instruments of inspiration garnered from her and from them I learned the redemptive power of writing, to have faith in the movement of my pen, to observe the intricacies of the ordinary, to advance my voice, elevate human connection, foster it and use it to be a better writer; a better person. I learned a great deal about character development from her keen skills and, much about detail, voice, texture and truth. I can only hope they translate, even just a little in the work that I dare to put into the world.

When I learned she was sick, I wrote a long gushing handwritten letter to her in the hospital. I expressed my eternal gratitude for her superlative contribution to Canadian literature, for her exceptional female presence as a writer, for the moments of transcendence while tucked eagerly into the pages of her books, for the lessons, the enlightenment, empowerment and for the words. What shocked me weeks later was receiving a reply on a non-descript plain white postcard thanking me for my kind words, for reading hers and for the well wishes. It chokes me up to think of her in her hospital room scribbling notes to those like me who refused to miss the opportunity to express how deeply she touched our lives: a remarkable woman, even on her deathbed. I will cherish that note the rest of my days.

Her words resonate, then and now. I wish she could still be with us, painting the creative landscape with her beautiful prose and poems. There were so many stories left for her to tell but as life would have it, not enough time.

The works she did leave behind are valuable and voluble. She created literary magic culled from her own life, in her own unique way. She was generous, of spirit, of talent and for that and so many other reasons, a treasure.

Happy birthday to you up in the Heavens, Carol Shields.

We love you always and are grateful for your wisdom and your beautiful words.

In propinquity,
Nic


2 comments:

  1. A lovely piece, Bean. She told the stories she had come to tell. There were no more, else she'd still be here. I've come to believe this of anyone who leaves us before we are ready to let them go. We must revere the work she left behind; her legacy and her wisdom are the things she was meant to give us - and give she did, to have touched you so.

    It's nice that you remember and honour her, though. I'm sure, wherever she is now, that she still appreciates the love you sent while she fought her (unfortunately) losing battle. To know that we have touched even one soul through our bliss surely makes it all worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly does. I wonder if I'll ever reach that plain one day?

      Delete