Saturday, January 18, 2014

Saturday Solace



So, here I am in my neighborhood Starbucks.  I am drinking coffee, writing on my laptop and feeling the weight of the world separating from my psyche.  This day, a grey Saturday, is vital for re-energizing my creative spirit.  I am moments away from finishing the first draft of my epistolary tale (still struggling to title the beast) and I am both elated and terrified.  It is the first piece of prose that I have ever finished that is over ten pages.  It clocks in at thirty one.  I’ve been working on it so long I feel like I need eyes so I’ve enlisted a friendly reader for a test run, someone whose opinion I trust.  I think sharing this monster will be helpful, to see what I’ve missed and what I should omit.

It took a long time to realize the story’s ending.  And, when it revealed itself I was quite taken aback.  I hadn’t expected that kind of ending but alas it is not my story it is Imelda and Brucha’s tale and I have to be true to their days.  But, the burning question STILL remains, what the blazes is this story called?!  It will come, it always does but I am so used to writing with something that is already titled.  This is something new for me.  I already have the title for my next piece so you can see why this is such a conundrum.

This whole life with a laptop thing is most excellent.  I bought a travel bag for my goods last night, something shiny, red and swanky.  In addition to the freedom it brings from being chained to a desk, it allows me to be outwardly inspired because I can write in coffee shops and wherever the wind blows me. 

I think I may try my first ever fish taco today before I venture home.  It’ll give me more time to muse on a title and today is one of those days where something new is just what the doctor ordered.  It’s been a long week of work and worry and restless nights so I am taking comfort in the little things, the creative things and new tastes, experiences and not missing the moments.  I may even dance tonight.  We shall see.

In propinquity,

Nic

2 comments:

  1. For me, titles are the hardest part of writing. I rarely, if ever, start with one, but even then, I share your pain at not having one for the epistle. I'm delighted that you're done with the body, though, and even more delighted that the ending isn't what you foresaw (if you foresaw anything). Titled or not, you've written your first epic!

    Most of all, I'm delighted that you're mobile and online once more!

    ReplyDelete