Thursday, December 6, 2012

Gracias!

(Me, 24 hours old, 1973)

For the first time in a very long time, my birthday felt like an actual celebration.  In years past, I have had lovely birthdays but for some reason this year felt festive, with renewing qualities.  I felt a surge of pure love and I accepted every once with an open heart and a smile on my face.  This getting older thing isn’t so bad when you have a clear perspective on what matters in life and leaving the refuse in the wasteland where it belongs.  Being free of burden and letting go of things that inflict nothing but pain makes one feel alive.  Feels so nice to be alive and for one day, appreciated just for being here.  I believe everyone deserves a moment to shine and while I have always had an issue in the past with the attention, this year I basked in it, allowed it to wash over me and it restored my faith, especially in myself.

I owe many thanks to my dear friends and my crazy family for a fantastic day.  I woke up to lots of love that led me to a leisurely lunch with my best friend Erica and then some Christmas shopping.  Next, I enjoyed cake with the littles that turned into a bona-fide dance party in the kitchen.  Imagine a handful of elementary age kids breaking it down to LMFAO’s ‘Sexy and I Know It’ and PSY’s ‘Gangnam Style’ (both songs my request I might add) and you have a barrel of monkeys.  My face is STILL sore from laughing at their antics.  To top off my day, spent with so many people I love, I ventured to my brother’s house to help decorate their Christmas tree.  My sister baked shortbreads while my niece Chelsey and I busied ourselves with the task at hand.  Their tree is so beautiful, white twinkly lights with several of their ornaments red and white or clear.  We laughed our asses off, drank hot chocolate and when everything was done, we all sat back and reminisced which always leads to shenanigans and is cause for my heart to swell with affection.  I can’t declare our family is perfect, nor am I but there is nothing more precious than family, the one we are raised in and the family we make for ourselves with who we choose or perhaps who choose us.  Friends and family are the deepest riches we accumulate.  Nothing compares.

I don’t have any poetry today, just a mere thank you to those who touch my life – those who are blessings and those who were lessons.  It’s all the same thing to me. I am grateful. To those who know me well, you know who you are and to those who lift me up when I need it.  

I’m also a touch sentimental today too because in addition to it being my name day (St Nick’s day – victory for the people!) it’s the 95th anniversary of the Halifax Explosion where two ships collided in the Halifax harbor and leveled a large portion of the city.  My heart goes out to those who perished, those injured and those who are/were left behind.  As I mentioned earlier today in a Facebook status, this anniversary is a stark reminder of how precious and unpredictable life is so we should appreciate each moment we are allowed.

Be kind to each other.  Be fair and be loving.  Always.

In propinquity,
Nic


No comments:

Post a Comment