Monday, September 24, 2012

Careful Abandon


I am firm believer in music, a devoted patron.  Last night my best friend Erica and I spent a peaceful evening stationed at The Carleton (in Halifax, Nova Scotia) to see my creative comrade Matt Epp play a one-man, acoustic show, part of his ‘Careful Abandon’ tour in support of his new acoustic record of the same name.

It’s always a happy occasion when Matt comes to town and that this time he was playing Mike & Mike’s premiere ‘listening room’ was a coo (that’s Mike Campbell and Mike Rhodes of Much Music fame).  The Carleton, for those of you who haven’t been, is a spectacular venue for intimate and interactive shows between artists and their audiences.  You are required to arrive, seat yourself, hydrate and heed the one rule of the room, ‘reserve quiet chatter for between songs’.  I am a BIG fan of this concept (like that of The Company House where I’ve also seen Matt perform).  I appreciate it because so often I’ve gone to shows and miss some of the power and the essence because senseless nattering is interrupting my intake.  I want to ‘listen’, absorb what an artist is sharing, not what so-and-so did on summer vacation.  I’m sure the stories are wonderful but I paid admission to see someone play, we can all talk later.  And, with someone like Matt, who shares straight from the deepest part of himself; it’s a privilege to be able to be still, be content and just listen.

Matt Epp is charismatic, a gentleman who makes music with a grateful heart.  His shoes are well-worn, touring and exploring the world, collecting stories, accumulating experiences and setting them to gorgeous music, always excited to be able to share them with others.  His extensive travels and expert story-telling ability make him an artist to be excited about, one to watch, follow and admire.  He is prosperous with the natural ability to communicate with others in earnest felicity through his unique soul-inspiring songwriting.  The songs he composes are rife with temperate ardor, kind-hearted humanity, spiritual reflection, tender in their goodness and always touch me.  His particular brand of artistic integrity, his effervescence and his soothing, angelic voice are only a few of the wonderful characteristics that make up the awesome-ness that is Matt Epp.

Erica and I sat ourselves at a cozy table next to the window overlooking a Halifax city street.  We shared a few delectable items from the menu, talking quietly until Matt took the stage, draped with two red heart red flags of ‘Amoria’ and set with a microphone stand, his guitars and simple stool holding his harmonica and a glass of water.  Every person present was there to see Matt.  They anticipated his arrival and welcomed him with a warm Nova Scotia reception. 

(performing a gorgeous Ryan Adams cover)

As usual, his show (of two sets and a short intermission) filled my heart to the point where it started to overflow.  I sat most of the time listeing, dangerously close to spilling tears.  It isn’t uncommon for me because his voice moves me.  He played two beautiful sets of songs both old and new, shared clever and silly stories in between with ease, audience participation included.  Particularly poignant was the story he shared about trip to Berlin where he was playing a show at the embassy.  He witnessed a tragic accident involving a young man on a scooter and a larger vehicle. He started his show with ‘Love Is Forever’ and talked about how the lyrics of the love song started to take on a whole new meaning to him because he watched the injured man’s clothes being cut away by paramedics.  It’s stories like these that bring his audience so close to the songs he shares.  It’s what I love the most about his shows.  My favorite moment though was when he played his last song of the night and realized he had nowhere to go when the room demanded an encore.  Being the cheeky guy he is, he hid behind the curtain on the stage.  For his encore, he asked what we’d like him to play.  Someone suggested more Bob Dylan (he shared a cover earlier along with a Sam Cooke tune and a lush Ryan Adams tribute after talking about working with his producer on his up-coming record with his full band due out next year).  After the Bob Dylan mention, someone else asked for ‘Orphan Horse’ followed by the suggestion he do ‘Orphan Horse’ AS Bob Dylan.  This struck Matt’s funny-bone and got everyone giggling.

It’s safe to say, after some quality time with Erica, taking in Matt’s show, talking with him a bit and two generous, bone crushing hugs later, my soul was well fed with kinship, music and laughter.  I really appreciate Matt’s generous spirit. He’s such a lovely human being and an exceptional artist.  I wish the whole world could sing in harmony with him because he understands the human heart, human decency and he believes in love, life and the whole crazy thing.

With careful abandon, I lost myself in his calming presence and his meaningful music.  I was touched by sincerity as he humbly thanked each of us for the accolades and for sharing the evening with him.  As with any event so anticipated, it went by so fast.  For now, I have a new acoustic record to enjoy until be passes through town again.  That and I snuck the gig poster from the front door of the bar as I left. But shhhh, don’t tell anyone.  It’s proudly displayed on my rock wall along with our ‘gangsta’ photograph we took together at the back of the bar.  If you want to see it, you’ll have come visit.  It’s pretty rad.

I strongly encourage you all to acquaint yourselves with Matt’s music.  You’ll be happy you did.

My next musical adventure:  The Stanfields this Saturday at the Sea King Cub.  I’ve been looking forward to that since August!

Heads are sure to roll.

In Propinquity,
Nic

PS - Matt recorded a song with Serena Ryder that I am SO pumped for!  I LOVE her.  And to have two of my favorite Canadians singing together is just solid gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment