Monday, August 13, 2012

Radio Everywhere



Some of the most profound friendships I have forged in my lifetime have always been because we’ve shared a common interest or passion.  In many cases it has been either music or writing or a healthy combination of both.  I’ve been scribbling things down my whole life and have always had a deep affinity for music.

I have been a Duran Duran fan since I was eight years old.  I was one of those 80s babies who peppered the bedroom walls with their faces torn out of Bop and Tiger Beat and Star Hits magazines.  I devoured every note of their discography (and to a point still do but as a mature music-loving adult and not a hormone filled pre-teen) and in addition to the wide-range musical education I received from having a father who played in a country band and five siblings who all had specific and diverse musical tastes (ranging from Shawn Cassidy to Black Sabbath) and one sibling who grew into one of the most talented and passionate musicians I know, getting to know Duran Duran – the things they listened to, the books they read and the visual artists they admired, opened up a whole new world to me.  Painters, pop artists, writers and other musical artists, I studied them all.  They helped shape the things I love now.  Interesting how inspiration can work and can mold young, hungry minds.  Additionally, discovering the internet did the same thing but on a much more personal level.

The first time I found my way on the internet, I felt like a kid in a candy store.  All of this fascinating information and thousands upon thousands of photographs and video clips came up with one simple search.  Not only that, the entire world burst open and I found a group of people, like-minded, who loved my favorite band just as much and sometimes even more than I did.

It’s certain I had to weed through a lot of rotten eggs and unnecessary drama (you are all aware of how the internet can be) but I managed to whittle down the insanity to a group of people who have become comrades, friends and in some ways, family.  They have resilient natures, strong opinions, excellent taste and beautiful hearts to go with their lovely families and their ability to make me smile every single day, even when I don’t want to.  Some of them I’ve met, some of them I haven’t but I struggle to remember a time when they weren’t in my life.  It is amazing how just loving a band’s music can create a community of people and friendships that surpass the common interest and become connections that make you rich of heart.  It has also had a domino effect.  From that group of people others have come and so on and so forth.  There are pieces of my heart resting in every corner of the globe, from my sweet friend Melly way down under to, to the smashing UK gals, Isa in Spain, kindred creative Elspeth in Vancouver, my home-slice Darci in Oregon and all of the charming faces across the US.  You all know who you are and it’s such a pleasure making your acquaintance.

These people are fantastic human beings.  They are mothers and fathers, musicians and writers, homemakers, students, professionals, straight, gay, married, divorced, religious or non, political …. you get the idea … and really just all around stellar folks.  I am fortunate to know them all, even if it is just bantering on Facebook about punny photos, shared life experiences or offering prayers when they are needed for their loved ones.  In a way, we’ve all sort of grown up together; on message boards, chat-rooms, at concerts and gatherings.  What began as an exciting meet cute between fans of music turned into friendships that have endured through good times and in some not so shiny ones.  At any rate, I am grateful for them.  They make life beautiful with their collective wit, humor, insights and their impeccable taste.  I count my lucky stars.

If I could, I would name them all, one by one and rhyme off all the things I love about them individually.  I do my best to reciprocate their steadfast support and friendship because they are all so special to me. I hope they know so.

One such person has been a driving force in keeping me writing, keeping me creative, sane and in her heart.  She’s someone I have hurt deeply over the course of our friendship and I hope in some small way she knows she’s loved and appreciated for all of the music, laughter, written words and sisterhood we’ve shared and continue to.  Those I love most inspire verse and this one was for her, inspired by our mutual love for each other, music, Thunder Road and its map.  It was written on October 9th, 2007 and still holds true now:


Radio Everywhere
(for Kiersten)

                        ‘The highway’s jammed with broken heroes.’ – Bruce Springsteen
                                                                                                                                                                       

I want to create a table of sunlight
for you to place your radio on
for you to sit in sturdy wooden chairs
with your friends and dissect their songs

radio is everywhere
capitalizing on the bound set of blank pages
you are longing to fill

radio is everywhere
transmitting heartbreakingly beautiful poems
to outline your intentions

close your eyes
listen

there is nothing
you’re missing

radio is everywhere
everywhere is radio

I want to build you a mountain made of music
for you to base your secrets on
for you to stand on and sing at the top of your lungs
with your friends and celebrate their musings

close your eyes
hear the heroes

sing

radio is everywhere
you are radio

write the frequency



 **

In a way, those of you of whom I speak, you are the radio to me too.  Your frequency comes through loud and clear.  Dear-hearts aplenty. I love love love you guys.  Mucho.  Thanks for letting me run with the cool kids.

In propinquity,
Nic



7 comments:

  1. Aww..this is so wonderful, Nic! I will forever cherish that poem and you. You have always been my biggest source of encouragement and support with my writing, you have been there through heartache and happiness. No matter what happens, we will always be pea pod sisters! xo

    It's amazing how many incredible humans Duran has brought into our lives. We've been on such a beautiful journey together, the core group survived the drama and for that I am eternally grateful. I adore all the girls and Harold. They are such a gift. I wonder if the boys realize what they have given to their fans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so beautiful Nic :) You are always one of the first to give me encouragement with all the crap I've been going through the past 3 years. And you always make me smile! I'll be forever grateful for your friendship and I'll always be there for you too. :)
    Lovelovelove you too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore you. I adore your writing, your compassion, your passion and your wit.

    We've never met in person - this fact never ceases to amaze me because I count you as one of my nearest and dearest...

    You never cease to inspire and support... and I love you for it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you equally, Else and think the very same of you. <3

      Delete