Friday, November 11, 2016

Efficient Little Stanza


Forgive me. I know it is Remembrance Day but I woke up with swollen eyes and a heavy heart, going to bed with the knowledge poetry’s Holy Grail had died. It has been a tough year, 2016, for fallen artists, important ones, but this socked me so hard I could hardly sleep. It likens to the emotions felt when I heard Gord Downie was afflicted. I knew Leonard wasn’t well but I hung on his promise that he’d live forever, the same way I always believed of my father.

I was up early. Brewed myself a cup of coffee in my ‘cup of longing’ (a souvenir I covet from his show in Halifax a few years back that changed my whole entire insides), and started writing. I apologize, as I am not as articulate today as I can and should be. I am just heartsick and saddened. All of the tributes flooding the internet helps, recalling Adam Cohen’s uplifting show at The Carleton where he performed ‘So Long, Marianne’ and I wept profusely out of my left eye the whole time refusing to breathe or else I’d blubber, shaking his hand and talking briefly about his father and his own talents: all helps.

Leonard Cohen, at 82, left the table but left behind a body of work and a resonating influence that will last even long after I’m gone. It has been such a wondrous journey, following him, learning from him, listening to him, celebrating him.

Au revoir, fallen star. I love you.   

**

Efficient Little Stanza

you left the table

I remain
under fedora brim
topping up
two fingers of rot gut
whiskey
with brackish tear-jewels

last we met
I was in a state
you reminded
me to remain
reflective
& unburdened
to make art
to take my good time

you smoked cigarettes
I glugged robust coffee
I wept  
                & you laughed
I was disheveled
& you of course
                always
dressed for ecstasy
our last meeting
                is tied up in an
efficient little stanza
                handwritten
in a moleskine journal
                for safe keeping

now
                you’ve left the table
I remain
                your old pin-striped
grey flannel jacket
                draped over my shoulders
your poetry on my tongue
               
birds on the wire
                did not warn me
you would be gone
                when I arrived

                so long, love
it’s been nice knowin’ ya

**

Remembering my literary hero today as well as all of those who have fought for our freedoms. So many emotions today. So many.

In propinquity and in Flanders Field,
Nic






2 comments:

  1. Oh, Bean, this is worthy of the man himself. Beautiful and simple and startling in its dark melancholy, a true ode to your icon.

    I admit, I could never thought the man could sing, but boy, he wrote poetry that will stand the test of time. I admire his talent as a wordsmith, as a deep thinker, as a calm observer if not a neutral one - and I respect that he inspired so many of the artists I admire ... including YOU. <3

    ReplyDelete