Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Uneasy Verse



Uneasy Verse

spouts of uneasy verse
burden my inward youth
the pong of damp books
locked deep in Granny’s
dank dirt floor basement
tomes filled with wicked              
words that seep into your
skin ripple there slowly &
rarely do they desert you
even when you grow taller
than the tales themselves
a whiff of a used bookstore
smells like the sense of
being caught filching a few
of Granny’s books barely
escaping her gangly grip
out-running her sour balm
& screech - it’s every bit a
twisted tenderness trap
– current fragrances
conjuring childhood heed
now my stanzas are written
wisely,  scent free

**

Maybe it’s from watching the runaway Netflix hit ‘Stranger Things’, the creepy vibe of this out-of-the-blue poem. Perhaps it is from the memory of my Nanny MacPherson maiming with a pumice stone, a hunk of porous volcanic abrasive rock used to remove or calloused skin: too bad she couldn’t understand I had psoriasis on my elbows. I also started to re-watch ‘American Horror Story: Asylum’. Any number of things could have leaked from my jam-packed subconscious to pull this little piece together. I had this imagine in my head, an old basement under a creaky house, full of musty books and the gate-keeper came in the form of an old crotchety woman. This in no way is a reflection of my Nan! She certainly wasn’t perfect but she was demure, even when cranky. I just remember her being stern and strict when she came to visit. Everything had to be just so; her way or the highway. She died when I was in junior high and softened a great deal. When she lived with us in the end, I remember she laughed a lot but bossed my Mama around like a drill sergeant. That had never changed. Bless her heart.  

An eerie little poem for a rainy old day.


In propinquity,
Nic

1 comment:

  1. Yah, it's a little creepy, but not as eerie as all that! It does evoke a scene of musty old books abandoned in a dark cellar, the kind of place kids dare each other to explore. I really like this line:

    "... rarely do they desert you
    even when you grow taller
    than the tales themselves ..."

    That's where the dare struck me :)

    ReplyDelete