Monday, July 11, 2016

Madoc Says Magic Is Afoot



Madoc Says Magic Is Afoot

Madoc says
magic is afoot

to appeal
deadened hues

away from the
oppressors tongue

to cull poems
from the Aegean Sea

to render God
alive
                above
humid nimbus clouds

enough to make a
brooding genius shudder

Madoc says
magic is afoot

because

Leonard Cohen
read aloud

                a verse

that left him
slouched into a corner

recounting a lone
bellow of wistfulness

Madoc says
magic is afoot

in a collection
                the
author’s  name
barely visible
                on the
thin spine

a book of revelations
bought and sold
for one single
line of truth

etched with
                a ballpoint pen

by a reliable witness

Madoc is always
right

**

I’ve reading ‘Startle and Illuminate – Carol Shields on Writing’ – it’s been a comfort to pursue her collected advice and to, in some small way, spend time with her again the way I did inside of all of her other books, stories, and poems. I have been keeping my eyes, ears; heart and mind open for an opportunity to begin a new short story. I can feel it bubbling somewhere under the surface. I have started and stopped SO many stories over the last year or so. I attribute it to Liz Gilbert’s assertion that if the story did not materialize, then it wasn’t my story to tell, the idea will pass on to some other waiting writer. I like that imagery. That thought. I’d hate for them to never be told so I hold on to the hope it will weed up into a comrade’s think bank and flourish. The poetry has been (as always) a saving grace but I want to sink my teeth into a story.

For now, I wait patiently. Madoc insists magic is afoot …

And obviously, this poem was Leonard Cohen inspired.

In propinquity,
Nic



1 comment:

  1. Leonard, eh? That might be why I didn't get the gist of it! I just like the individual phrases here; sometimes one single bite is the best part of an elephant.

    ReplyDelete