Thursday, March 19, 2015

All We Had


All We Had

in my own private maelstrom
I allow time to diminish me
& lessen the joy of all we had

you were so desolate after dark
grandstanding in the loneliness
of my long walks away from you

no apology was kindly offered
for your ill-starred behaviours
these transactions of hypocrisy
left you indifferent to desires

nothing need be imposed
                nothing was all we had

**

It's true, winter has defeated all of us here on the east coast of Canada. Sure, we expect cold, snowy winters but this past month with a string of nor'easter and flash freeze combos, we resemble the North Pole. Our last storm brought 60+ cms of snow and now we're all a coast full of hunchbacks slowly disappearing behind growing snowbanks. Ironic that the first day of Spring is tomorrow and we're buried in so much snow there will still be piles of it in July. The kicker is there is another system brewing that will introduce itself on Saturday either in the way of 15 more cms of snow or a whack of rain. Either way we are screwed.

So, I wrote a poem. Something cropped up and out came these words. After a peaceful coffee date with one of my loves, I sat down and banged this out. I had fun writing it because I didn't really think too hard, I didn't fret over the lines, I just wrote. Opened up, plugged my headphones in, listened to a cover of Neil Young's 'Sample And Hold' Matt Mays recorded on repeat (I am currently obsessed with this song) and I wrote something. 

Woot!

Tomorrow is Friday. I feel like this week has lasted a month but I welcome the weekend to rest a little. There's a bottle of wine chilling for me and my playlist will be waiting for me when I get home. Could get romantic.

In propinquity,
Nic

1 comment:

  1. It's wonderful to see you so desperate to escape the cold reality of your winter that you are driven to create such masterful art. Even your short poems are breathtaking ... though, I admit, occasionally harder for a poetry moron to interpret. I do grasp the sadness, the resignation and acceptance, in this one. It leaves me with a sigh.

    ReplyDelete