Sunday, September 14, 2014

Timekeeper


Timekeeper

a mere man at his center
averts the world patiently
fixes romantic tenements
in blazing lionized sangfroid
is anonymous yet eminent

an ingenious timekeeper
drawn over hours and days
breathed in and savoured

a veritable man at his core
makes mountainous waves
maintains theatrical distance
to cue perfection to dance
is more than flaws wrought

an acclaimed timekeeper
an impassioned instance
embraced and then set free

keeping time
                serene progression
keeping time
                ordained peace

the timekeeper expressing the
syllables of my commandment

a mere man at his center
invisibly clear classically trained
a nighttime hymn a soft ear

the timekeeper impressing
touch on sure summer nights

standing still
standing tall
holding tight
holding mine

he is the compass of supreme fiction
the timekeeper lacquered in armour

permissible and possible

 **

I’ve been pecking at this poem for over a week.  It’s been a long worrisome one, dealing with a family matter that stopped my creativity that had just re-emerged.  This past week has been a blur, it’s been like floating in a dream, being on the outside watching myself.  It’s tough to watch someone you love weaken and move closer to their end.  It’s so important to be present and loving and open with your people.  It’s so important to communicate and laugh and share your life and in turn share in theirs.  Be kind and tell those you love that you truly do.  Before it’s too late, everything truly is temporary in this life which makes time extraordinarily precious.  Use it wisely, don’t waste it.  I’ve been doing just that even more so this past week.

I managed to spend some time this weekend out with my buds, decompressing.  Friday night I attended the first birthday party for my favorite Halifax radio station, Radio 965.  I was bone tired but loved the festive red carpet, the fun in the photo-booth and great performances by The Brood, Soho Ghetto, Dylan Gythro and Adam Baldwin.  I kept close watch on my phone in case of emergency and swallowed the guilt of being out. There are people who would be extremely judgemental of me for stepping out during this tentative time in my family but I was instructed by a wise man to pay no mind to that nonsense and do what eases and fulfills me.  The music was soothing, I won’t lie. 

The same thing happened last night.  My bud yanked me out of the house and spent her extra ticket on me to go see former Guns n Roses guitarist play at The Seahorse.  Cape Breton got Slash and Aerosmith but I got to see Gilby Clarke.  It was an excellent rock show.  I was disappointed in this city that there were so few people in the bar.  Maybe 50 or so.  He deserved better.  And what a great human.  He stopped us on the sidewalk in the pouring rain while lugging his own gear and thanked us for coming.  He recognized us from being inside.  Zero pretension.  I was glad I decided to get out in the world and experience something instead of hiding away. 

Gilby Clarke rockin' @ The Seahorse, September 13th, 2014

Tonight is the night I’ve been waiting on for MONTHS.  I scooped up tickets for my poet love Gord Downie and The Sadies right away because they are playing The Marquee and that means an intimate show compared to the several Tragically Hip shows in large arenas and open air fields.  I’m still riddled with guilt and am truly trying to maintain my excitement for this show.  The thought of being THAT close to a stage he’ll grace, gives me goose-bumps.  He’s an absolute hero of mine, I admire and respect his writing, and he’s an incredible performer.  His poetry book, ‘Coke Machine Glow’ is one of my most coveted volumes, like ever.  A massive fire broke out this morning in a commercial building just behind the venue, I hope it doesn’t have any impact on the show.  If it does, I hope the contingency plan is a good one.  The Adam Baldwin Band is opening tonight too so that will make it a good night all around. 

While I putter and lounge a little, I’m also attempting to break in my shoes for a wedding next weekend.  A family wedding.  My nephew is marrying his love and it will be so nice to witness that and have a night where my family are all in one place together.  I am hoping Dad is well enough to attend.  I know how badly he wants to be there.  Prayers are welcome.

As for the above poem, I did write it with a specific human in mind.  Exactly who it is I will never tell.  Hee.

In propinquity,
Nic






               
                

No comments:

Post a Comment