Monday, September 15, 2014

The Conquering Sun


Like yesterday’s sun, I was conquered.  Conquered by a little big show at The Marquee Ballroom on Gottingen Street.  Gord Downie, The Sadies & The Conquering Sun completed their summer tour in Halifax.  I had been looking forward to this show for MONTHS.  Gord, of course, is my poet love and hero.  I have so much appreciation and respect for him and his art, his performances, his ideals and approach to music and the world.  As I mentioned before, I’ve seen the Tragically Hip a lot but I’ve always watched from a fair distance.  Last night, I was fortunate to be right in the front and prior to them taking the stage butterflies swirled around like caged animals in my tummy.  Nerdy as it may be, it was a big deal for me to be that close to the stage, to experience Gord.  The whole damn thing altered my insides, shuffled my pieces around.  I haven’t felt that way since my Leonard Cohen show in 2013.

He looked like a rogue angel in white, wide-brimmed hat and all. He was incendiary right down to the tips of his black pointed budget shoes.  He toyed endlessly with his microphone stand, toyed with the audience that were just as rapt as I was. I am in complete awe of the man, his antics, his facial expressions, his inventiveness and his command of the English language, he knows how to manipulate words to make wonder.  And really, what other man do you know who would insert the word ‘odious’ into audience banter? He is the polar opposite of anything extremely unpleasant, repulsive.  He is a Supreme Being. My heart grew six sizes to Sunday, I thought it might burst in my chest.

So close, so damn close.

Holy snappin' bananas, so close.  So cool.

I was nervous that with all of my family goings-on, I’d be hard pressed to find it in me to fully enjoy the moment and be present.  For the minutes he was obliterating the stage, everything melted away.  I was in my moment that I had been anticipating all these months.  I am grateful for the time that I spent outside of my head and my worries; fully engaged in music, euphoric and weightless.  Gord looked down into my little old soul, literally. He stood over me, looked into my face as he sang, full frontal eye contact.  All at once, it was soothing and overwhelming, so much so I had to momentarily look away. Too much power for my tender heart but I will savour that feeling for the rest of my small literary life. At the end of the show, he reached down with his warm hand and squeezed mine (my bud’s too) and said, ‘Thank you for being in front.’  I wouldn’t have wanted to be anywhere else.

Mind was blown.

In addition to the music from their ‘Conquering Sun’ record they were touring in support of, they also pulled out three stellar covers, ‘So Sad About Us’ by The Who and in their encore they pulled out Guided By Voices’ ‘I Am A Scientist’ and then obliterated us with ‘I Got A Right’ by Iggy & The Stooges.  Musically, it was a perfect show.  What am I saying, it was a perfect show in every single aspect.

And what about The Sadies! Holy snappin’ bananas they are increddddible.  They are an opulent and cohesive unit.  They melted my face. Miraculous. I was just as enthralled by their musical offerings as I was with Gord’s.  And together, they are a mighty mighty force. When The Sadies get back to Haliax, I will be there.  No question.

I should also note that the Adam Baldwin Band opened with a killer set and primed the room with his exceptional songs.  He tweeted yesterday (and I am paraphrasing) that The Sadies are an institution, Gord Downie was a legend and he was just a skid opening for them. I, in my nerdy fashion, being the music geek I am replied and told him he is OUR institution.  I am pleased to see him doing so well with his EP, he was nominated for SIX Music Nova Scotia music awards this year.  He’s loved and rightly so. Skid no more in my opinion, not that he ever was one. The kid can PLAY.  And his band is top shelf.  Hometown pride right there.  And all of this happened with my good buds alongside me.  There’s nothing better than having your friends next to you for the important things.  I sure do love them.

Adam Baldwin Band KILLING it as per usual.

Last night’s show and Leonard Cohen at the Halifax Metro Center in 2013 are the two most important music moments of my life.  And Duran Duran in Montreal, seeing the O5, as it brought my childhood full circle.

I’m still reeling from the whole crazy thing this morning.  I’m appreciative to have a vacation day to unwind and process it all before I return to my 9 to 5 and my family.  I can honestly say that the smile on my face is a genuine one.  I haven't had cause to smile for a little bit now but when he waltzed across that stage, my face hurt from happiness. This moment will always be a bright spot in a large sadness.  I'll never forget it.

Grateful, grateful, grateful. For music, for my heroes who are also my friends and for Gord Downie, my poet love.



In propinquity,
Nic




No comments:

Post a Comment