Sunday, February 16, 2014

Beautiful Helplessness


Beautiful Helplessness

I am not willing to accept the world is without a man
of unfathomable range & a remarkable inventory of art
I wonder if he let himself be surprised by his grandeur
the kind that broke through the noise to quiet our cores
I imagine him falling upwards in beautiful helplessness
his endangered spirit held hostage by an addict’s bargain
measuring a severe distance from celluloid to Heaven
a banal romance expressively trenchant & lastly ruinous

I am not willing to accept the world is without a man
who delivered a tiny fraction of what he was meant to do
to touch the marvelous depths of every breathing thing
to tabulate immaculate perception through artful elations
I imagine me rescuing him from a tremendous darkness
to return his pensive stare & wicked smirk & muted orange
hue back to the refuge of earth & oceans & sooty city streets
a valiant response to his urgent audience in profound mourning

I am not willing to accept the world is without a man
whose efforts leave me inconsolable & arrowed in the heart
yet fortified in my creative disposition & ambling toward ecstasy
the trajectory of his brilliance was boundless & commanding
it projected an upside down reflection to be staunchly revered

I am not willing to accept the world is without a monumental man
& just how his absence will be calibrated is yet to be determined
those of us drowsy flowers left behind bend in the sad music on the wind
bankrupt of the currency lost in a single drought of one incomplete story

I am not willing to accept the world is without a man who smoldered
until his last breath shattered him into a billion pieces of silver star-lite

**

Philip Seymour Hoffman's death had a grave effect on me.  He has long been one of my favorite actors and I have always appreciated his creative process, his work ethic and his incredible body of work. When I learned he had passed, I began a long homage to him by way of watching and completing my collection of his films.  My tribute via this film festival has been an incredibly inspiring and at the same time a gut-wrenching experience.  He is commanding in every single scene he has ever done, whether he has a cameo, does a voice-over, is a supporting actor or the lead.  He makes you take notice, he demands your undivided attention, he envelopes you.  It is surreal that he has expired.  It is unbelievable that we will deprived of his cinematic genius forever.  The above poem may be trite and cliche and somewhat elementary but not since Heath Ledger's death has any actor's passing touched me so deeply and caused my heart to ache.

I love Philip Seymour Hoffman, I always have, I always will.  This, my tiny eulogy to a man worth so much more than a few pithy words in a poor poem by an amateur.

In propinquity,
Nic

6 comments:

  1. Oh, how this made me tear up. Your second stanza is particularly powerful, and there is some wonderful but sad imagery here. Just beautiful.

    We have all truly lost someone great.

    ~Michele

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, love. The further I get into my film fest, the more grave the loss feels.

      Delete
  2. you are too modest Nic ...an eloquent tribute to another whose light has faded much to soon ... don't know what awoke the sleeping dragon of addiction but the loss is ours ... i too felt the same way about Heath Ledger... will miss them both and do them homage by watching & rewatching their films

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've watched almost all of them now, save a few I'm still waiting on and a few I'm still looking for. That's how we keep their spirit alive, yes?

      Delete
  3. I regret to say that I have seen none of his work. That may change, as his work remains to remind us of what has been lost but what we were privileged to receive while he was here.

    Nic, whether I'm a fan of his or not, the beauty of this poem is wrenching. You may have misplaced your day-to-day creativity, but the spark certainly flares when occasion demands. Take heart from that, my Bean. It's what you are. No matter what contrives to distract or dissuade you, nothing can change the truth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ru, if you have seen 'Almost Famous' you have witnessed PSH at his finest playing Lester Bangs. Even if you never see another of his films, you'll already have seen his brilliance.

      Delete