Monday, December 30, 2019

My Most Judgmental


My Most Judgmental

for the briefest of moments
my most Judgmental reared
her swollen head to purport
my beloved night-singing
has gone out of fashion so I
ought to go on & give it up
this from a would-be stargazer
whose stagy bark never quite
matches that of her
aggrandized bite
there is something so off-key
about my most Judgmental of
late … off-putting even, callous
enough to secretly bid her to
float upward just so she might
fall (for once), wicked a wish
I know … dangerously akin to
the desires that twist inside her
            I shall endeavor to be
unlike those like her who are
scattered & lost, destined for
ruins … not for merit but for
the shrill music that plays in
& around their blindest eyes
whose smile loses shape for
every wound doled out on a
loving heart who loves to sing
just to be closer to Heaven
            I shall endeavor to be
better … she believes I am so
easy to abolish, my most
                        Judgmental
but I’ll still sing high above
her scarred mountaintops in
direct light of the sun, every
word finessed to ease … ease
whatever & whomever may
require calm … even my most
Judgmental – who may be made
warm enough by the melody’s
sweet persuasion to take pause
& weep for all the things stated
that cannot be taken back

***

I overheard a conversation on my commute this morning that inspired this poem, with a little real life thrown in for good measure. The sentiment is universal, and you can take it any which way you like. It isn’t so much about a person but rather a feeling. Perhaps it’d be different for the person whose conversation I stole to create it, I’m certain it’d be someone very specific. It isn’t exactly the most optimistic poem to end out a year of scattered writing, devout reading, and a gaggle of ups and downs. And then there was Elizabeth Gilbert. Workshopping with her saved me in more ways than I can express. It’s why the poem above still sings despite it all. I’ve learned a great deal of what it means to be your most avid supporter. And in that, there’s no more chasing people, only dreams. I’m cool with being on the fringe of circles I no longer belong. I’m cool with aloneness. I’m cool with my own company. I’m cool with my fears and my enchantments. I’m cool with how to face it all, and that’s with my head held high, a smile in my heart, and contentment on my face. I will never pretend the bruises don’t hurt. I am just more equipped, for reals, for how to deal with them. It was the greatest gift of my life. You always think you know and then you realize you don’t. Until you do. And, when you do. There’s no other way, but You. Your way. And, how you put love and goodness into the world.

That’s all I’ve got going into a new year. No resolutions except to say I welcome whatever it is that comes my way. I’ve got the tools and I ain’t afraid to use ‘em!

Wishing you a happy and prosperous 2020!

In propinquity,
Nic



No comments:

Post a Comment