Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Permanent Moonlight


Permanent Moonlight

I wish for it
an enduring nighttime
like that one we spent
at a high-rise party in
  1996
slow-dancing
across a herringbone
parquet floor
the act
upstaged
the anticipated
                        arrival of
Comet Hyakutake
other roisterers took the
stairs two at a time to
the roof to bear witness
& we just kept dancing

            I wish for it
insist for it – permanent
moonlight
            & a decent pen
with which to write it all
down
            to preserve time
to remember the steps we
took together  
            unaware

***

I am pretty sure I’m going to drink heavily tonight. Or, at the very least, open wine and drink a good quarter of it straight from the bottle. I’m mulling it over as I type. Whirlwind workday. In addition, gale force winds and accompanying rain on the commute home. An umbrella just wasn’t cutting it.

Happy to be home with a steamy bowl of Cream of Wheat for dinner. Something comforting and dependable after a rousing day of unpredictability. Happy to have penned this poem on the way home to my securities. My cat. And, my Mom who is dining quietly with me doing a crossword from the paper I brought home for her.

Is it Friday yet?!3

PS – Dusklight. Then a poem about permanent moonlight?! I’m sensing a theme here.

In propinquity,
Nic




No comments:

Post a Comment