Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Choose Happy w/ Little Poems



Choose Happy w/ Little Poems

The Morning After

orange juice
concentrate
romantic
severance

***

Shopkeeper’s Lunch

long uphill
walks for
soba noodles
back in fifteen
minutes

***

Role Model

he keeps lists
of long words
in a notebook
some are
underlined in
red ink for
dramatic effect

***

Archivist

illicit symmetry
existential vertigo
two things that
rebound and plunge
into reticent habits
of mourning
logged for posterity

***


Crush

/w a motorcycle
helmet tucked up
under his arm he
watches a hover
of birds in awe of
how they accept
their own riddles

***

Hope Is A Pleasure

surprise tangents
soft epiphanies
spiritual and literal
turns you toward
excerpted texts for
the lost and the lonely

***

You

you strike me as
someone who is
angry and sad by
the exact way your
conjugated pleasures
suppressions and
ejections reveal the
consequences of your
elegiac engagements

***

Wish

to be one of those
a melancholic capture
perched atop a red round
silver rimmed leather stool
curved over the slender
countertop of an all-night
diner – waiting

***

Guilty

illogical eddies of
assonance become me

***

It felt very ‘Sillyheart’ to be jotting down teeny tiny poems the last day or so. I started a ‘commonplace book’ for this very sort of thing and I do confess that I used the tried and true scraps of paper to scribble them down until they could be typed up. I might suck. In my defense, I had a little too much in my work -bag the last few days and it’s on the verge of ripping. My work bag is my favorite so I’m preserving it for as long as I can, so paper. I have been recording quotes and things inside though. It’s been a great exercise in restraint but I turned to the comfort of scrap paper the past few days. Perhaps we can co-mingle?

I hit a bit of a dry spell after writing ‘French Kissing Freddy Emerson’ so all these little poems felt like little bursts of joy and I’m happy to share them now. I’ve also stalled a little on the ‘Sillyheart’ edit but she’s constantly in my ear. Life gets in the way now and then and that’s okay. Work is work is work, right?

In propinquity,
Nic




No comments:

Post a Comment