Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Old Letter


Anyone who knows me knows that I'm a hopeless romantic. I'd wager a little more on the hopeless side of things these day but still a gooey romantic center. That said, I no longer regard things through the rose-coloured glasses I once did. With experience and time I've grown more practical (and it pains me to say it) a touch cynical. That happens, eh? However, I am the goofy sap who has penned long languid love poems for past suitors, rolled them up and adorned them with silky red ribbon and lived for Valentine's Day in elementary school. I loved making the heart-covered envelopes to hold all the cards my classmates would dole out. I loved the whole process of hand-picking the right card for specific pals. It's where my addition to stationary came from. No question. I'll always be the nerdy one who looks lovingly at card racks and love-related consumer items. I don't buy them, I don't receive them, but they are pretty on the heart to look at.

In that spirit, I found myself scratching on a scrap piece of paper and there it was, a poem. The image above and the accompanying verse is in no way a slight toward love day. It gave me a chuckle and a happy vibe that words pushed out of my pen. Who said love poems can't be cheeky? 

The poem:

Old Letter


rough-edged
& crumpled
a single-spaced
scribbled instant
of vulnerable uncertainty
addressed to you
a silly letter that should
            have never been
opened
lay silent in your
kitchen junk drawer
I hope your
            wife finds
it
&
wonders
            why you
saved it so long

***

Have a happy heart day, folks. Even if you don't buy into all the hoop-lah. It's still a good day to have a loving day.

In propinquity,
Nic



1 comment:

  1. *wipes tears from eyes* Ohhhhhhhhhh, Nic ... I love love love this one; it's out of character from a squishy liquid centre, but it's perfect from a savvy observer. The punchline nearly knocked me out cold, lol.

    I'm a cynic about romance, never about love. Love is all that matters. And a wicked sense of helps in moments when you maybe don't feel it so much. Thank you for this one. It's perfect.

    ReplyDelete