Friday, July 3, 2015

Caught In The Act


I tried desperately to squeeze some joy out of my mid-week holiday this week. Canada Day came, the sun poured through the windows with the promise of hours of enjoyment ahead. I struggled, the second my feet hit the floor, to ‘get with it’ for lack of a better phrase. Not wanting to waste a perfectly gorgeous day, I forced myself outside into the throngs of people and strollers and wheelchairs up and down the Halifax waterfront. Big mistake. Doing this activity alone and aimless: no plan, no comrades, no sense of direction; bad idea. I was already in a dark frame of mind, weighed down by the pressures and anxieties currently plaguing my days. I should have stayed home. That became evident when the sun gave way to the dark menacing clouds and it started to pour. I was on Barrington Street in short sleeves, no umbrella, minimal cover and solo.

My only goal in the weeks leading up to my country’s birth was to head down to the free show at Alderney Landing to catch the Glorious Sons from Kingston, ON. I’d seen them open for Airbourne at The Marquee and I fell in love with their particular brand of rock ‘n’ roll. When I set out across to Halifax, the idea was to eventually end up back at Alderney Landing in time for their set. But I got drenched en route to Dartmouth so I just kept on going until I was home in my comfies curled up with my eyes closed, agitated beyond comprehension. The only bright spot of the whole journey was a wee visit with Hannah.

Checking the clock and in with a friend, I opted to force myself back up, change into something warmer and go do what I wanted to do for weeks: see Glorious Sons. Timing was perfect, I arrived at the grounds just as they started their set.

A strange thing occurred to me as I watched them rock and then roll. I was standing in a crowd of thousands of people and had never felt lonelier. A profound sadness washed over me and it was all I could do to keep the tears in.  

But then, there was that kick drum … that fortuitous power filled up my being with authority.

Music does save. It did me in that exact moment.

I went to bed less filled with the dread of the day and more with the hope of making my tomorrow better. I can sometimes get very low but then my inner-optimist wakes up and slaps my feelings silly, reminds me I can do better, be better and kinder to myself. With struggle comes progress, right?

So, in addition to being brought back into the light but a rousing dose of rock, I also started reading a sweet little book: ‘Hector & The Search for Happiness. It is teeny tiny trade-paperback written by Francois Lelord, simply written yet insightful. It’s a wonderful little parable about modern life, about happiness and unhappiness. If you’re looking for a quick read with heart and lessons learned, pick it up. It is just what I needed. I found my copy under a pile of writing folders. I forgot all about it but it was like I was meant to forget so I could find it now when I was most in need of the directives.

Today is Friday. I missed the OHF gathering last night and I have this poem in the current issue. I really could use a gathering to get up and share some writing – better yet, I could really use a decent spurt of energy to create something worth sharing!


**

Caught In The Act

a singular vehemence instigated
a triumphant return to buoyancy

the near absence of preeminence
enacts an aesthetic  to serve admirably

the idiosyncratic ringing of the bells
bewitched an unleavened expression

to recite lengthy open-hearted verses
a rising narrative of subtle nuances

on the poetic condition

caught in the act of rhythmic climax

a surreal phrase
on a brisk winter morning

**

Happy weekend, friendly readers and loves.

Be happy.

Be free.

Be safe.

In propinquity,
Nic

1 comment:

  1. I have tried three times to post a comment here, Nic. Finally, it seems technology will permit, and perhaps it was for the best that previous attempts were foiled. At the time(s), I intended to "feel your pain". Now, however, I see the hope in this post. The irony of being alone in a room full of people united in a singular cause - to experience the music of one band. Reminds me of Sting, enjoying the irony of 20,000 people singing "So Lonely" at the Police concerts of old. I get the isolation you felt there, but that drum, like your mother's heartbeat in the womb, brought you back to life.

    Isn't music magical?

    And your poem, a lament? An ode to the defiance of spirit bent on overcoming the doldrums? We create to give ourselves purpose, our lives meaning, and without it, we are lost. Alas. Just how long are these phases meant to last? Until we move ourselves out of them, I guess. When you can't create for yourself, it's good to seek inspiration in the creations of others.

    Okay, this is an epic comment. Sorry for the length of it, Beanie. I know you'll be all right. You're fierce. You're a light being. You will prevail.

    ReplyDelete