Sunday, November 2, 2014

Broken Hero With a Poet's Name



Sunday. November 2nd, 2014.  The first day of the time change.  Gaining an hour of sleep they say.  For me, it’s one less hour of sunlight that I require.  I am now facing those several months where I will be getting up in the dark and going home in it too.  While I do enjoy the nighttime, sunlight as I get older tends to hold more promise and it alleviates the seasonal blues.  Must buy some vitamin D.  It doesn’t help that it’s cold as a witch’s teet today and has been pouring rain all weekend.  Such is Fall, just like cool cousin Spring.  I have had enough of sitting around, I am going to get out today and stretch my legs and browse around, hopefully get a visit in with my Dad if he’s up for it and then prepare my noodle for the return to the 9 to 5.  I daydream about a retreat every Sunday, a quiet place to think and write and wonder.  I think I’m just longing for a vacation.  A real one.  Not one where I just don’t go to work, but one where I am away from my daily life, somewhere other than here.  I’m still hoping for a trip down South in the Spring before my bud moves to Newfoundland.  We planned for it last April for our 40th birthdays but circumstances prevented me from being able to have the time off.  It HAS to happen this April.  I long for a real grown up vacation.  I work my tail off.  I deserve it.  Most importantly, I need it.

I did get up this morning when it was still dark.  I couldn’t sleep, I couldn’t get my noodle to settle long enough to rest.  I read Ru’s blog last night and a line in the preface to the new piece she posted stuck with me, ‘a broken hero with a poet’s name’.  I haven’t written a thing in weeks.  And since this line stuck with me, I thought I’d try to use it as a beginning of a poem, inspired by her creative wisdom.  I hope she doesn’t mind.

This is what I wrote.  Unedited and raw, in Sylvia Plath’s ‘blue hour’ and in the pouring rain:

Broken Hero With a Poet’s Name

I encountered a broken hero with a poet’s name
the weight of his dark eyes evoked an eccentric peace
I put him in a clamorous setting on a critical piece of paper
the noises, crashing cymbals, tambourines, vociferous voices

I wish it had been more of an airy dream under weeping trees
our happenstance was a mere trace of the truest North
a romantic’s naiveté where the moon is always just the moon

the broken hero with the poet’s name propositioned my fate
gone longer than he was present but not without a quiet farewell

I encountered him in the place where I was supposed to be
the stark adequacy of his small oblivion touched me for hours

the broken hero with the poet’s name
entered my emptiest spaces without a word

and re-wrote the laws of chaos into exquisite verses
I sing them now against the wind and into the sun

**

A little writing exercise to flex my muscles just a little bit.  I abandoned all of my stories and characters that were present and I feel really bad about that.  I do try to work but lately I haven’t had the heart for it but I feel like I should be a responsible writer and force myself to do it.  How can I even call myself a writer if I don’t do it each day?  I am desperate to be back in that place where I was prolific and productive, churning out stories faster than I could ever believe.  That was an amazing feeling, a happy time in my creativity.  I hope to have that back.  No, not hope, I WILL.  Right?

Oh, and Halloween was a gas.  We went as happy Mexicans.  I was stunned at how unlike myself I looked.  I was stunned by how much I looked like my oldest brother.  The comments and laughs our costumes got were fun and eased my worried self for a few hours.  Grateful for that and for my friends.



In propinquity,
Nic

2 comments:

  1. Nic, I'm so touched that one line inspired you to write this poem - it's beautiful, particularly your reference to the "airy dream under weeping trees" and how he "rewrote the laws of chaos into exquisite verses" - augh! I want to cry, it's so poignant and wrenching ...

    ... then I laughed out loud at the photo of two caballeros on Halloween; ye gods, that's hilarious. I didn't recognize you until I saw the colour of your eyes, lol. Glad you enjoy dressing up so. It is really not my thing, but I do appreciate the effort of others.

    Anyway, I've been where you are in the writing vacuum. It does get better, believe me. Part of it is life getting crowded as we get older and more - dare I say - responsible, but at the same time, there is always fodder for inspiration. Just be aware and conscious. The gems are out there, waiting to be corralled and spun into magical verse. You have not abandoned a thing. You have simply set them aside for the nonce.

    Honest.

    I love you, kid. Sorry this comment has run so long and took forever to show up; I don't visit so regularly as you're not posting so much, but I will be more diligent in my drop-ins!

    ReplyDelete