Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Mining for Marcel Proust


I know it's only Wednesday but it's my Friday.  After work I'll enjoy a quiet dinner with some friends and then go home, mingle with my comforts and continue on with my current TV obsession, Downton Abbey.  Season 3 arrived in the mail yesterday.  I'm three episodes in already.  I try desperately to savour them but I simply cannot. I'm enthralled.  

I haven't been blogging much but I'm writing.  I am working on yet another short story called 'Yee Haw'.  On my first day off tomorrow I have planned an artist date for myself after running errands.  I'm going to park myself somewhere where there is coffee and scribble all over my sheets with a red pen.  I've also decided there needs to be a few more scenes so I'll have my thinking cap on besides.

Also, on a bright note, my dear friend and wordsmith Ru has joined me online!  She started a blog of her own and I can't WAIT to read every single word she writes.  She's magnificent and should be famous. 

A little poetry for a wet Wednesyday:


Mining for Marcel Proust

marcel proust
was a startling image
falling into an asthma attack
mining my languid prose for
great style & perception

valentin
louis
georges
eugene
marcel
proust

turned his back on my writing
deemed my carefully crafted pages
blatantly numbered pastiche

I discredited his false accusations
challenged him to a quick draw
gunfight outside of an ambient saloon

the medley of my poetic ingredients
coupled with the exactness of fame
warranted an integer of expressions

of defense & anthologized pardon

marcel proust
hurled a compendium of essays
after a licentious literary review
was published citing his work as
unconscious memories of the deaf

valentin
louis
georges
eugene
marcel
proust

invented everything
& revised nothing
all allegorical

& me

still 

excavating
for gold

**

All for now.  Almost quitting time.  Tea is almost gone.  Work is almost done.

In propinquity,
Nic


3 comments:

  1. At last I can comment in real time, lol! Oh, Nic, the pleasure of your poetry continues with each piece you write. I still have `moronic moments` with some of the bigger ones, but over the years you`ve taught me more about poetry than I could ever teach you about prose.

    Not sure I completely get this one, only because I`m still in the throes of left brain, but off the top of my head, I`d say it`s an ode to a hero - or at the least, an inspiration for your own work. Whatever it is, it`s beautifully done. You never disappoint!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so super exciting! Commenting back and forth. :) And thank you. I can't really explain where it came from except to say it was written after I read a little bit about him. I found him interesting and I went from there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This came after "reading a little bit abut him"? I grovel at the feet of genuius. I swear, the poem sounds like it sprang from a lifelong love affair, full of ecstasy and agony and all the good dramatic stuff that makes such wonderful art.

    ReplyDelete